The Alcohol Service for Parents (ASP)
The Alcohol Service for Parents (ASP) provides a service to support parents whose alcohol use is affecting their ability to parent their children. We support and work with parents to reduce the impact of problem drinking on them and their children. To help us in this work we have a Family Support Worker who is part of the ASP team. We also work closely with Children’s Social Care and attend child protection meetings and liaise with other services working in the best interests of families and children.
If you think you may have a problem with Alcohol then you can complete the AUDIT (The Alcohol Use Identification Test) and score your drinking. If you look on the Drinker’s Pyramid your AUDIT score will indicate the levels of drinking.
If you would like support from Harbour after completing an AUDIT, please come to our new Referral Drop-in Service:
11am to 12:30pm, Monday to Friday and
5pm to 5:30pm Wednesday
at The Harbour Centre, 1st floor Hyde Park House
Mutley Plain, Plymouth PL4 6LF
At this drop-in we will ask you about your alcohol use and begin looking at ways Harbour may be able to help. There are a number of options we can look at depending on your needs. We also work in alliance with other agencies which can offer you further support and help you cope with the many problems in life associated with your alcohol use.
You can also speak with your GP, Social Worker or any professional you are working with and they can also refer you.
How can Harbour Alcohol Service and the Alcohol Service for Parents help you?
We will work with you to assess your problem drinking and any other issues you and your family may have. We will plan a series of sessions with you to
- help reduce, control or stop your problem drinking
- offer community or in-patient supported detox where necessary
- increase your self-esteem and ability to cope
- provide advice and information on alcohol and the impact it can have on your health and parenting
- work on individual relapse prevention skills to stop you returning to your problem drinking
- support you through the Common Assessment Framework (CAF) process (link to CAF website and info)
- signpost to other specialist services and other useful resources for employment, voluntary work and college courses